Musings of an Old Man

Whatever this used to be about, it is now about my dying. I'll keep it up as long as I can and as much as I want to.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a 69 years old white, male, 6'1", 290 lbs., partially balding in the back. I was married for ten years and fathered two children, a daughter and a son. My current marriage (2nd) will celebrate its 39th anniversary November 4. The date will be in the news because it was the same day as the Iranian hostages were taken at the US Embassy in Tehran. (Obviously, I had a better day than they did.) I'm a Vietnam Veteran ('71-'72). I have worked as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Graduate Teaching Associate, Technical Writer, and Web Developer. I own, with my wife, a house and a dog.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Dead Birds

Do pigeons (doves) pair-bond for life? I think they must, and the quick research I did on the Internet would seem to suggest that, but the information was not definitive.

I ask this because yesterday afternoon, I saw two pigeons acting strangely in the parking garage where I work. One was standing stock still as I came within three feet of it while the other did not fly away but simply walked, and none to steadily away. They were situated near a low wall in a relatively sheltered area of the garage, but they were also in an area that had a lot of pedestrian and vehicular traffic. I would think that the pedestrian traffic in particular would have made them unwilling to linger there, but it did not seem to.

I first saw them around 2:30 yesterday afternoon. When I saw them again, around 4:00 pm, as I was going home, one of them looked dead, but the other one was roosting next to it in a corner formed by a structural pillar and a wall, they were not more than three feet from there I had first seen them.

They were still there this morning, though the living one was turned around and probably still trying vainly to rouse its mate. They're gone now (9:45 am). Someone removed the dead bird. I don't know if the living one his hanging out near its dead companion or has moved on.

What's the protocol when you come across a bird mourning for its dead mate? Do you pass by and leave it to its grief? Do you remove the dead carcass as a health hazard? Do you rescue the living one? Do you say it's just a bird and unworthy of even these few words I have written?

Rest in Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home