Musings of an Old Man

Whatever this used to be about, it is now about my dying. I'll keep it up as long as I can and as much as I want to.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a 69 years old white, male, 6'1", 290 lbs., partially balding in the back. I was married for ten years and fathered two children, a daughter and a son. My current marriage (2nd) will celebrate its 39th anniversary November 4. The date will be in the news because it was the same day as the Iranian hostages were taken at the US Embassy in Tehran. (Obviously, I had a better day than they did.) I'm a Vietnam Veteran ('71-'72). I have worked as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Graduate Teaching Associate, Technical Writer, and Web Developer. I own, with my wife, a house and a dog.

Friday, July 06, 2018

Things to think about as I begin the process of dying

These questions keep recurring as I begin this process of dying, especially as I still feel fine and eat normally.
Should I have a procedure to reduce the size of my bladder? I have BPH, which is a benign enlargement of my prostate. With the current medication I am on, it is not a painful condition at this time. While I am told that the procedure itself is nothing more than uncomfortable, I would point out that I would have a catheter in my penis for about 3 days after the procedure. I am not looking to add pain to my life at this time. What to do?
In this situation, are all of the medications I currently take what I should be taking now? Will have to consult with doctors on this one. You know they're gonna add meds as this goes along. Despite all of the medical professions statements, mostly they don't check the med lists to see if there are problems. In fact, the pharmacists do a better job than the doctors do, in my experience.
Subscriptions: Should I renew any of them? If so, which ones?
Don't think I want to start any new book series.

The big worry though is how to see that my wife gets the care and support she needs. I've been her at home caregiver since her foot surgery last October. She can walk now (finally) but not much. She hasn't driven in a couple of years because I didn't think she was safe anymore, but she's gonna need some way to get around. She wants to go into assisted living in the town where her daughter lives, and I think she's right. How can we make that happen before I'm too sick to go there? If I've learned nothing in the past couple of years it's that you can't even get help when you ask for it, when you seek it out.

Enough nonsense for the moment.

1 Comments:

Blogger De Sledge said...

Yes, someone is reading this. :)

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home