Musings of an Old Man

Whatever this used to be about, it is now about my dying. I'll keep it up as long as I can and as much as I want to.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a 69 years old white, male, 6'1", 290 lbs., partially balding in the back. I was married for ten years and fathered two children, a daughter and a son. My current marriage (2nd) will celebrate its 39th anniversary November 4. The date will be in the news because it was the same day as the Iranian hostages were taken at the US Embassy in Tehran. (Obviously, I had a better day than they did.) I'm a Vietnam Veteran ('71-'72). I have worked as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Graduate Teaching Associate, Technical Writer, and Web Developer. I own, with my wife, a house and a dog.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

No, it doesn't make it easier

Not knowing how my death is going to happen or when do not make it easier. However, since I have no discernible symptoms, the hardest part seems to be the part when I'm telling people. And it's only hard on me because no one else was prepared for it. (Was I? Yes and No. At 68 I know I've lived longer than 99% of everyone who ever lived, but in the modern world it seemed I should have expected another 20 or so years. "Send not to know the day or the hour.")

But the hard part of this is that so many people react so badly to the word 'Cancer.' What people say to me and how they say it says more about them than it does about me. Everybody is so damned afraid of dying and particularly dying with cancer. Early 21st Century Americans have forgotten that they are all going to die.

So the minute other read my facebook posting about my recent diagnosis, these fine people (and they are) begin projecting on me their own fears. It becomes "how would I react to this?" and "I would fight this" and eventually "Here's a cure I've heard of."

I'm not fighting this situation. I'm accepting it. I'm waiting for options to unfold, then I'll make my best choice among the options I have. All I need from my circle of friends and acquaintances is support. I don't need advice. I don't really need prayers; however I know many fine people who will feel the need to pray for me. It's okay. I have yet to be hurt by a prayer and I have seen many prayers helped by their praying. So have at it if you need to. If you see at some religious or spiritual gathering, and I'm acting reverential, know it for what it is: respect. I know many fine people who I respect, and I would not disrespect their beliefs by rudeness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home