Musings of an Old Man

Whatever this used to be about, it is now about my dying. I'll keep it up as long as I can and as much as I want to.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a 69 years old white, male, 6'1", 290 lbs., partially balding in the back. I was married for ten years and fathered two children, a daughter and a son. My current marriage (2nd) will celebrate its 39th anniversary November 4. The date will be in the news because it was the same day as the Iranian hostages were taken at the US Embassy in Tehran. (Obviously, I had a better day than they did.) I'm a Vietnam Veteran ('71-'72). I have worked as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Graduate Teaching Associate, Technical Writer, and Web Developer. I own, with my wife, a house and a dog.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

The War Problem in America

This may seem trite or obvious, but I see a problem with the United States and war. The problem is that since WWII we have fought four major conflicts and a few smaller brush fire engagements all without the involvement of the people of the US.

Both Korea and Vietnam were fought at a time when we had a draft, which at least engaged that part of the population it affected. Both the Persian Gulf War and the Iraq-Afghanistan war have been fought with regular troops augmented by National Guard and Reserves but no draft.

When our current president was asked what Americans can do to support the war effort, he basically suggested that we go shopping to shore up the economy. That's it. No other sacrifices are asked of us. Participation in the war is voluntary. (Well, sort of voluntary. Lots of people in the Guard and Reserves would like not to take eighteen months out of their lives to go fight in Iraq. But they don't have that option. Some in Congress have called this heavy reliance on the Guard and Reserves a draft by other means.)

Still, for the rest of us, which is most of us, the war is something we can tune into on television, or not, as it suits us. We make no sacrifices. We are totally distant from the men and women who take the risks and pay the price. This is called limited war.

What would it be like if our leaders involved us in the war? Asked sacrifices of us to support the war? Gave us a stake in the war's success or failure? I think it would be very different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home