Musings of an Old Man

Whatever this used to be about, it is now about my dying. I'll keep it up as long as I can and as much as I want to.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a 69 years old white, male, 6'1", 290 lbs., partially balding in the back. I was married for ten years and fathered two children, a daughter and a son. My current marriage (2nd) will celebrate its 39th anniversary November 4. The date will be in the news because it was the same day as the Iranian hostages were taken at the US Embassy in Tehran. (Obviously, I had a better day than they did.) I'm a Vietnam Veteran ('71-'72). I have worked as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Graduate Teaching Associate, Technical Writer, and Web Developer. I own, with my wife, a house and a dog.

Friday, March 03, 2006

And Now The News

I'm seeing news headlines that are resonating with me in odd ways. So I'm going to inflict these oddities on you. I hope at least one gives you a chuckle, and that the irony is not lost.

Ethics Office Rejected For Hill it seems that the Senate has rejected a bipartisan proposal for an Ethics Office that would monitor Senator's compliance with ethics rules. It would seem that we're in favor of ethical reform as long as there is no accountability. The Senate is much better at holding the President accountable for what he did or didn't do during the Katrina disaster rather than holding themselves accountable for ethical lapses.

Bush Makes Nuke Deal With India what caught my eye about this one was the comment that if the Indians increase their use of nuclear reactors for civilian power uses, the pressure on international oil prices will lessen. Perhaps that's true. It seems to me, though, that we Americans consider it okay for India to build civilian nuclear power facilities to lower our oil prices, but it's not okay for us to build our own nuclear power facilities to lessen our dependence on foreign oil? Is something wrong with this picture?

Widespread Anger and Turmoil Await Bush in Pakistan can I get a job writing obvious headlines? That has to be the easiest job in the world. The President is on a trip. I get up and go to work in the morning and wonder what headline I'll write. And suddenly it comes to me: "President Arrives in (country) where they hate us."

No Headway in Nuclear Talks Between Europeans and Iran okay, let's review the bidding here. Iran wants to make its own nuclear materials without having to rely on countries that are hostile to it. Iran says it is going to do that, basically come hell or high water. Europe, the IAEA, and the US are all appalled. APPALLED I tell you, that the Iranians would destabilize the region like that. So they continue to negotiate with and monitor Iran, and Iran continues to do exactly what they say they will do. I'm reminded of the proverb that says that stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.

Howard Stern to CBS: "I Will Not Be Bullied" I will do any bullying done around here, okay?

Bush Defends India Job Outsourcing of course he did that in India. When he gets back here, he'll no doubt talk about the need to develop more jobs for Americans. Q: How can you tell when a politician is lying? A: His lips are moving.

Final Item. (You're welcome.)Canada Backs Sikh Dagger Rights You have got to see this story on the BBC web site. I can't do it justice without the picture. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4770744.stm. It seems that in Canada now, a Sikh teenager is allowed to wear a ceremonial dagger called a kirpan to school. Personally, I'm in favor of us all going back to wearing swords and learning the skills of swordsmanship. I'm wondering how many Canadians parents are, though. I'm not sure I would give a teenage boy anything sharp.

And that's the news of the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home