Musings of an Old Man

Whatever this used to be about, it is now about my dying. I'll keep it up as long as I can and as much as I want to.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

I'm a 69 years old white, male, 6'1", 290 lbs., partially balding in the back. I was married for ten years and fathered two children, a daughter and a son. My current marriage (2nd) will celebrate its 39th anniversary November 4. The date will be in the news because it was the same day as the Iranian hostages were taken at the US Embassy in Tehran. (Obviously, I had a better day than they did.) I'm a Vietnam Veteran ('71-'72). I have worked as a Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Graduate Teaching Associate, Technical Writer, and Web Developer. I own, with my wife, a house and a dog.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Hindsight

No matter how much I know of my various physical and mental ailments, it always comes as a surprise to me when I can identify actions--or perhaps more accurately inactions--coming from my depression. I think that's a lot of what I have been writing in the past week. I've been talking about sleep apnea, and as I reread the writing, it is obvious to me that the person writing is writing in depression.

It was really bad Sunday afternoon when I had a block of time that I could use any way I wanted, and I absolutely could not motivate myself to use that time at all. I sat in front of my computer and played solitaire. I actually got up over $1,000 in winnings, that's how much I was playing. It was a way to not do nothing without doing anything.

I even picked up my wife's copy of Marley and Me, which has had my wife in stitches as she read it. I had read 30 or so pages when I realized that while there were some funny moments in the book and it is all around pleasant to read, I wasn't laughing. I was getting the jokes, but they weren't more than mildly amusing to me. I am depressed.

I actually started feeling better last evening, and I feel at least somewhat better this morning. I have no more explanation for why I started feeling better than I do for why I drifted down into depression. I haven't missed my medication. Readers know how much attention I've been putting into my sleeping. I don't have any answers, and I'm beginning to think the medical sciences don't have any answers either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home